Friday, August 20, 2010

explosive photography-with a lighter




































please do not try this at home if your parents don't let you play with fire. i really don't want to take the blame.

anyways, it was around 4 AM and i was bored. my initial intention was to sleep since i have to get up for work early in the morning. then i saw a box on top of my book shelf. in it was junk. junk to my parents, treasure for me.
i have this weird habit of salvaging anything that looks cool, even if it is totally useless. i would convince myself that the junk would be useful when the time comes.
i found some cool stuffs in the box. some wires, double sided tapes, a funky mirror and loads of little test tubes.
i also found some hay. which is weird.
that's when i got this idea. check it out:

one of my first successful attempts
after a few trial and error on the exposures.

one of my best shots.

so, how did do this? it's a no-brainer, really:
first, get your exposures and settings right. i set my ISO to 100, and aperture to around f10-13. my shutter speed was around 4-8. i didn't use my shutter release, i set my slr to timer mode/2 secs.
since i'm working with a very slow shutter speed, i mounted my SLR on my  tripod. as for the background, i used my homemade black background.

first step is to set up the place. then set the exposures and settings. thirdly, play with your lighter and burn the hay after you have pressed the shutter button. 
i told you, a no-brainer project. a fun one, too! looks like an experiment gone wrong.
anyways,if you want to try it out but my instructions weren't clear enough,leave your comments on the chatbox and i will get back to you ASAP. :)



No comments: